Tuesday, January 08, 2008

2008 Resolutions

1.  Maintain a GPA above a 3.5 - I'm enjoying my classes in my MBA program.  I've learned a great deal and hopefully I will continue to do so.  With Law school as a possibility after my MBA, I need to maintain the highest possible GPA to help me get in the best law schools.  It's true that my LSAT score will probably be a bigger factor than my GPA, but It doesn't hurt to keep it high.

2.  Read 6 books (outside the classroom) and write about them on here  - This is important to me. I've found that I enjoy reading and it's relaxing.  The girl, as it turns out, has superb taste in books.  I love borrowing the books that's she's read.  Moreover, It's refreshing not to be reading on a computer screen.  Between twitter, coding, blogging, and typing papers, I'm constantly in front of PC.   A change of scenery for my eyes can't be that bad.

3.  Reconnect with 5 or more family members back home - I want to continue to build on the progress that I made last year.  I was able to reconnect with some family members and actually talk to them on a regular basis.  This has still not brought any closure to some unfinished business that I left but its good to know how every one is doing what they are up to.

4.  Record all financial data for the entire year - I'm always good for this till about June or July.  Around then, I usually go some big spending spree and get lazy about recording it.  Next thing I know it's been three months.  My goal is to keep up with this all year.  I think it will be beneficial to financial planning and all that good jazz.

5.  Bring in 10K to 15K through freelancing - This is an interesting goal.  I've recently partnered with a friend under the b•seen communication & media umbrella.  She does the graphics (print and web) and I do the programming.  We are mostly looking for small to medium size projects.  If you know anyone who needs some work done, contact me.

6.  Open an IRA or Home buying fund - By all measurements, I've been pretty good about the 401k thing.  Now it's time to expand.  The end goal is to buy an overpriced condo either now or when I retire.  Regardless, the to get there, I need open an investment account outside the work place and contribute to it on a regular basis.  This is what happens when you read too many PF blogs.

7.  Go to 12 museums - I've come to the realization that while a live in a city with a million museums, I can only recall going to two.  Since they are open 364 days of the year (according to my sources, they close on Christmas), there is no reason why I can't go once a month.  Clearly, the gff will be in charge of making this happen (She doesn't know that yet).  Mostly because I don't even know what museums are around... I KNOW...very pathetic.

8.  Learn Ruby on Rails - It's the new hotness.  I only do hot things. 

9.  Be a better boyfriend/Better Work life balance - This is going to be a tough one.  By all accounts, I'm workaholic who barely sleeps or eats. Between school, work, freelancing, and other engagements, my relationship and friends sometimes takes a backseat.  This is clearly unfair the lady friend and my crew.  Moreover, while it would be great to be big time, it really would not be good to lose any more hair due to stress.   So we need to work on remedying this.  If it means cutting back on some commitments so be it. 

10. Get Management Position in IT or Public Policy - By the end of the year, I will be about 60 percent done with my program.  With under my belt and my work experience, I feel like I'm ready to test the waters with management.  With all these theories going on in my head now, I feel that it's time to apply them to the real world.   While exploring that I will also be looking to get into public policy since I'm addicted to all things politics.  My only dilemma there is that I have to narrow down my interests.  The world can only be fixed one issue at time.

 

Technorati Tags:

No comments: