Tuesday, March 18, 2008

30 minutes why I'm for Obama

If you've been following my blog, you know that Barack Obama is my candidate for president.  I even went down to South Carolina to volunteer for him.  I also volunteered when it was time for the DC/MD/VA.  However, I have yet to take the time to  explain why I favored Obama over McCain and Clinton.  While I was searching for the right words and the right way to present them to you, I found two videos by Professor Lessig (blog) of Stanford law and founder of Creative Commons.  He was recently drafted to run for US congress in the 12th district of CA but decided against it because his opponent, Jackie Speier,  has been one of the most popular state legislator for the last 30 years.  Instead, he decided to focus on his new project, change-congress, which he will unveil this week at the Sunlight Foundation.  Needless to say, I will be in attendance.  At the time he was considering running, I would have moved to CA to help out with his race though he probably did not need it.

Regardless of what comes of his political future, Lessig's videos basically express my thoughts about the election,more specifically about Obama's candidacy, more eloquently than I ever could.  Take a look below.

First video - 20 minutes or so why I'm 4 Barack

Second Video - 10 minutes on whether Hillary can win

While Lessig  makes several good points as he often in his lectures, the most poignant is that it's time to pass the torch; it's time for a new path; it's time for a new generation of leaders.  To borrow a much overused phrase of this electoral season, it's time for real change. It is my hope that in January 2009, Obama will be able to borrow to words from JFK and say "Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike that the torch has been passed to a new generations of Americans." 

No comments: