Monday, September 08, 2008

What impact will the next POTUS have on public service?

ServiceNation With all the (local)election stuff going on, I forgot to mention that BTC (along with our coalition partners)  will be hosting the first presidential forum since both nominees formally accepted the nomination of their respective parties.  From an e-mail we sent out today to our list:

It’s a HUGE week here in ServiceNation. This Thursday evening, Sept. 11, our Sept. 11-12 ServiceNation Summit in New York City will open with a Presidential Candidates Forum featuring presidential nominees Senators John McCain and Barack Obama. They will share their views on service and civic engagement in post-9/11, starting at 8 pm EDT. CNN and MSNBC have indicated that they will carry the forum live (we are hoping Fox will too), so invite your friends and family over for a night of inspiring television.

The next day, the 12th, the ServiceNation summit continues with a gathering of 600 leaders from every sector of American society. The summit will release a bold policy proposal, and a Declaration of Service, which you can sign to declare your support for the idea that service to community and country can help unite America and solve problems. We hope to gather 1 million signatures (up, that’s 1 million!) on this Declaration, to show our leaders that America is ready for a new era of service.

I'm very excited for this event. I'm looking forward to hearing what both Sen. McCain and Obama have to say.  It should be fun, interesting and tiring.  I'm heading up to NYC on Wed morning for the forum (all my NYC people, holla me).  I will be part of the content production team but I'm not exactly sure how much freedom I will have to roam around.  Regardless,  I will be blogging (here and ChangeWire),  tweeting (BTC Tweet feed), taking pictures and possibly streaming (working out the details on that).  The full schedule of the event is at http://www.bethechangeinc.org/servicenation/summit/schedule (Sorry for the formatting). 

 

P.S.  The biggest dilemma if my life right now is whether or not I should cut my hair just in case I get to meet the next POTUS.  Feel free to weight in.

No comments: