Sunday, January 22, 2006

Vanilla Creme not Frappuccino

I’ve a slight irritation with American restaurant/bistro/café places that borrow words for other languages for their menu. At first this seems really harmless and makes the establishment seems really chic but I’ve come to find this more annoying than anything else. As a native French speaker, when I see a French word on the menu, I have the tendency of pronouncing it in French. But unfortunately for me that means that 9 out of 10 people serving me will have no idea what I’m saying and will most likely get the my order wrong by writing down what they think I said instead of writing down what I asked for.

Most recently this happened to me at a Starbucks. I ordered a vanilla crème, which is basically heated milk with whipped cream. It’s actually pretty good. Somehow after saying ordering a vanilla crème, I ended with some form or frappuccino with extra vanilla. I’m not really sure how that was at all similar to my order.

Call me crazy, but I don’t think any eating/coffee place establishment should use words that their employees do not how to pronounce in its original language. I really have a hard time believing that they would mess up “Hot milk with whipped cream”

No comments: