Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Gaydar Malfunction

For the last month or so, I started attending to the gym in the middle of the day.  It’s less crowded, splits the work day in two and allows me to enjoy the weather for a hot second.  Yesterday, during my work out I noticed a gentleman was looking at me. Not thinking much of it, I gave the customary head nod followed by “what up”.  And he responded. No big deal.  Then it occurred to me that the same gentleman was also checking me out last week.  But I again I didn’t think much of it, because I usually look at the other people when they are doing an exercise I have not seen before or if I want to make fun of them when they are using way too much weight.  I finished my work out, showered and got dressed.  On my way out the locker room, the gentleman approaches me. And our exchange goes as follows:



<guy holds my right arm>
Guy: “Can I introduce myself?” 
Me: “yeah”
Guy: “I’m {insert name here}”
Me:  “Henri, Nice to meet you”
Guy:  “Can I take you out for drinks some time?” <holds out a white piece of paper that I’m assuming had his number or email written on it.>
Me: "nah I’m straight” <no pun intended>
Guy: "Aight."
Me: "Have a good one."
<guy exit stage left, me exit stage right>


Seriously???!?!  What part of me screams gay?  The only brain exercise I get these days is thinking about WOMEN (except when playing/watching sports).  It’s true that I’ve been accused of being very metro at times but never gay.  And even so that was about a year.  Not in recent times.  I knew my gym was full of gay people (nothing wrong with that) but I thought they all had a “gaydar.” I guess his must have been malfunctioning or something.


On the other hand part of me is flattered.  It’s not every day that you get asked out for by somewhat attractive man.  Part of me was considering taking the offer; I do drink a regular basis and to have drinks paid for once in while by a member of either sex is not such a bad thing, provided they don’t expect anything in return.  I have to the give the guy credit for the having the balls to ask me out for some drinks, but there in lies the rub:  he had balls.


I will keep my workout schedule as is but I will ask my female friends for some better rejection lines just in case.


2 comments:

Roar Savage said...

Hehehe. You handled that beautifully, though, babe. Very nice and respectful. Girls should get advice from YOU.

ghettodev said...

Thanks babe.