Friday, February 09, 2007

Web 2.0 Explained....

As a programmer and someone to likes to keep up with the hottest and new things on the web. I have been inundated with the number of web 2.0 apps that have been springing up over the last few years.  Yet when I asked my other geek friends what exactly is web 2.0;  None of them were really able to explain to me in concrete terms.  And What makes and app 2.0 instead of 1.0 or 1.5 for that matter? (There isn't a web 1.5 just in case you were wondering). Using Ajax, User generated content? tagging? using OpenIDOrganizing an insane about of data to look pretty or ugly?  Allowing object to be embedded? Loading faster? simpler UI?  The weird names?  Making the Web 2.0 directory? The label "Web 2.0" seemed to be arbitrary to me and I did not readily accept as some of my other geek friends did.  This morning, when I walked to my desk and began to read my rss feeds using google reader, I found a blog entry by Scott Hanselman I figured I should share.

Who types that fast?  Although, It did not answer all my questions and I'm still  rather skeptic of the label "Web 2.0",  the video did a good job explaining some of the concept behind the label "Web 2.0".

No comments: