Monday, March 19, 2007

My dilema with the Red Cross...

Ever since I've turned 18, I've not been a fan of the red cross.  As a matter of fact it's that top of list of organizations(not corporations) that I dislike.  Why do dislike the red cross?  They won't let me know give blood because I'm from Cameroon.

HIV, AIDS
You should not give blood if you have AIDS or have ever had a positive HIV test, or if you have done something that puts you at risk for becoming infected with HIV.

You are at risk for getting infected if you:

  • have ever used needles to take drugs, steroids, or anything not prescribed by your doctor
  • are a male who has had sexual contact with another male, even once, since 1977
  • have ever taken money, drugs or other payment for sex since 1977
  • have had sexual contact in the past 12 months with anyone described above
  • received clotting factor concentrates for a bleeding disorder such as hemophilia
  • were born in, or lived in, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Equatorial Guinea,Gabon, Niger, or Nigeria, since 1977.
  • since 1977, received a blood transfusion or medical treatment with a blood product in any of these countries, or
  • had sex with anyone who, since 1977, was born in or lived in any of these countries. Learn more about HIV Group O, and the specific African countries where it is found.

[Red Cross - Blood Donations Eligibility Guidelines]

I would understand the guidelines if it allowed for exceptions but as far as know they don't (I've been on this is a blood drive organized back in college).  So in situation like the one today where local bloods banks are experiencing a shortage in blood and have to delay surgeries, I can not give blood even tho I'm perfectly healthy have about decade worth of AMERICAN medical records to back up my claims.  Fine I will keep my blood,  suckas!  The two things really irk are these overreaching guidelines are:

  • In case of a emergency where a family member may be involved, the hospitals may refuse to accept my blood because I don't meet to the guidelines above.  How messed up is that? 
  • If I want to donate blood, I could easily lie on the form and there is no way for them to double check the information I've provided.  I have to lie to do something good? How backwards is that?

This really pisses me off.  Although I would not call for a boycott of the Red Cross, I think there should should a way by which I can ask for a exemption or lobby the organization to change its guidelines.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not the Red Cross, or any other blood bank organization, that makes the rules about whom may donate blood. It is the regulations of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. If you want to persue, that is the agency.

ghettodev said...

matthew.. i will check it out.

anon.. You're right about the FDA. But since the Red Cross agreed to those guidelines and they are the ones conducting the blood drives and get all the glory and etc... they should be take some criticism for the guidelines.

Anonymous said...

hey man, saw that you made your site subscribable but don't have the button on it anymore. have any problems with the site? i'd love any feedback, even if you think the whole thing sucks. shoot me an email at mdk250@gmail.com!

Anonymous said...

Say what about the Red Cross "agreeing" to the FDA guidelines. Fact is, if there is not an agreement, there is no blood collected or distributed. Then lives are NOT saved by the blood donors.

Is there a belief that ANY blood bank (other than the Red Cross) in the United States is collecting and distributing blood products that does not follow the FDA guidelines? I expect not.

These comments are not meant to be adversarial. Do not blame the Red Cross. Every blood bank is charged with ensuring the safest blood supply possible.

From http://www.fda.gov/cber/blood.htm, see the following...

FDA also requires blood centers to maintain lists of unsuitable donors to prevent the use of collections from them.

FDA has significantly increased its oversight of the blood industry.

+++++++++++++

Cameroon has a high rate of mortality due to AIDS (https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/cm.html) and Hepatitis A is a major health issue. Nearly seven percent of the Cameroon adult population has HIV/AIDS.

Bottom line. Only about FIVE PERCENT of the eligible population in the United States donates blood. In place of degrying the Red Cross for following guidelines, it is more productive for a person to accept the science and spend his/her energy to encourage others to donate when he/she cannot.

Let's turn our efforts toward positive results!

ghettodev said...

matt...I will email you later this week.

Anon - I really appreciate your comments. I would never discourage anyone from donating blood. As a matter of fact i helped organize a blood drive in college.

It is true that Cameroon has a high rate of AIDS. But if the FDA is going to use that as a criteria to exclude who lived there from giving blood, they should also exclude any resident of D.C. At least 1 out of 20 residents has AIDS, which is 10 times above the national average.

Again I don't have a problem with the regulations, what i do have a problem is the fact that they offer no exemption and I could have blocked for giving/receiving to/from a family member

Anonymous said...

Did you read the disclaimer about HIV type O? A few years ago I dated someone born in Nigeria. I was perfectly safe... but you never know. I had been a regular blood donor for years and they put me on indefinite deferral because of this question. I say it's good practice, but when you have mostly undetectable strain of the virus out there these measures are important. I enjoyed donating blood and the 1/2 day off that came with it. (Company perk). Hopefully they will develop a better check for HIV type O and that question can drop off the eligibility requirements. I found your blog during my regular check to see if those measures are still in place. Unfortunately, the question is still there!