Friday, March 17, 2006

Late nite cheese steak run

One of the many advantages of living alone is the fact that I can convince myself to something absolutely ridiculous without having anyone to talk me out of it. Of course this can be both good and bad but not matter what it usually makes for a good story or a lesson learned.

Last night, I decided to stay in and do some work on a personal project to meet a self imposed deadline (they suck worse then the one imposed by clients). With a ball games on each computer and another one on the TV, I geeked (I just made it a word) the night away. After the games were over, I found myself in need of some new background noise. That’s when I stumbled upon Harold and Kumar Go to white castle. Even though I wasn’t paying much attention to the movie, by the end I was in the mood for white castle’s burgers and a road trip. Since I don’t know of any white castle around here I went for the next best thing, Philly cheese steak. Luckily for me, I’m not the only insomniac in town. At 2:30 AM I had partner “in crime”, and by 2:50 AM we were on the road get some cheese steaks from Pat’s (Geno's is too Las Vegas for me). But before we left we devised the following plan (some people think planning is essential but I personally beg to differ… but this time I made and exception).

Formula for a 3AM of the night Philly cheese steak run:
- 2 hours for the drive there (average speed of 80mph)
- EZ Pass (very Tight on time)
- 15 minutes to get lost (Because Philly might be slightly more confusing than DC)
- 45 minutes to eat (Because the Irish guy will tell you not bother him because it’s St. Patty’s day and will make fun of you for about 10-15 minutes…If you’re taking a rookie also allow time for them to learn the proper way to order)
- 2 hours for the drive back (average speed of 90mph… there is something about the sun being up and realizing that you have at work in 2 hours that makes you drive faster)
- 1 hour for rush hour traffic (Because the beltway sucks)
- Music
- $30.
- Mountain Dew/StarBucks so you can make it through work without sleeping at your desk when you make it back.
- A friend you can actually stand for 6 hours in confined space (Of course it would preferable if you actually enjoyed their company… but at 3AM your choices might be slightly limited).

Needless to say got back safe and sounds. The only negative about the trip is that I didn’t get chance to talk to my sister while I was up there. All in all, good times. Time go enjoy my favorite Irish holiday.

3 comments:

Law-Rah said...

I'da totally gone for a philly cheese steak at 3am!

ghettodev said...

i ll keep that in mind for my next spontaneous trip

ghettodev said...

The less planning the better... and there is nothing wrong with some consensual road fun… May I suggest back roads though?